A security guard has been hailed a hero for saving the life of a boy of four who was choking at Manchester’s Christmas markets.

Cherice Wallen, 29, stepped in to perform the Heimlich Manoeuvre on the toddler after she spotted him turning blue after biting into a sausage. The grateful boy later signed a card saying: “Thank you for saving my life. You are the best.”  His sobbing parents and grandparents also gave Cherice a bouquet of flowers.

The family had been enjoying the markets on Brazennose Street in the city centre when the boy suddenly got into difficulty.  Cherice dialled 999 but stepped in herself when she spotted him turning blue. His father lifted the boy onto the table and Cherise started performing the Heimlich Manoeuvre. On her second jolt, the little piece of sausage came flying from his mouth.  The boy, named Joshua, was seen by paramedics who arrived at the scene but he made a full recovery and didn’t require hospital treatment.  After Cherice had returned from a cigarette break to calm her nerves – ‘I lost it completely and started shaking’ – the boy and his family turned up to hand over her the card and flowers.

 ** To sign up for one of our First Aid courses call South West Security Training on 01392 494959 **

Wishing you a safe and secure Christmas from all of the Patronus team.